Monday, February 24, 2014

Lecture 6A: Enthymemes--Hidden Argument Components

Warm Up






Homework 5A Review


Hidden Premises:  Deductive Vs Inductive Reconstruction + Diagraming
Concept:  In reconstructing the argument as deductive or inductive, employ the principle of charity.

Sample Arguments
I just got a new book by Tom Robbins.  I'm sure I'm going to like it.

I have a new car so I won't have to spend much on maintenance.

My car is fast because it's a Ferrari.

I got an 'A' in critical thinking therefore I'm smrt.

Oregano oil is good for you because it's natural.

Aspartame is bad for you because it isn't natural.

We should enact gun control legislation because it could save lives.

We shouldn't enact gun control legislation because the right to bear arms is in the Constitution.

Discuss assumptions behind the Constitutional assumption.

Homosexuality is wrong because it isn't natural.

We shouldn't condemn homosexuality because no one chooses to be gay.

Homosexuality is wrong because it's condemned in the Bible.
Leviticus

We shouldn't have invaded Iraq/Afghanistan because it cost too much money and cost too many American lives.

Concept:  In reconstructing the argument as deductive or inductive, employ the principle of charity.


Hidden Conclusions
What's the issue?  Whether...
What position on the issue does the arguer want to convince you of?  X is good/bad.  We should/shouldn't endorse/do X.



HW 6A
1.  P. 137 Ex 6B 1, 2, 3.
2.  P. 142 Ex 6C 1 whatever wasn't done in class
1. For the following quote (a) identify the implied conclusion (b) discuss whether you agree or disagree with the implied conclusion and why
“I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”


No comments:

Post a Comment